We hired some Jewish techie kid to perform some much-needed improvements on the site. Just kidding. It’s all me, between my real jobs and my movement shenanigans. Don’t stress too much about the dramatically different look. We can easily change the style of the site back to the old way or to a different and better way if we reach a consensus. Better yet, we can tweak this theme to work better.
I know everybody’s going for a different look nowadays than the blog-with-sidebar-widgets look, and we may try something more edgy in the near future. I’m all about simplicity, and I’ll probably be simplifying this all over the next few days. It’s not looking very simple right now, but I’m working in that direction. There’s just so much quality video, podcasting, social media engagement, and conversation.
If you find the darker theme juvenile, please bear in mind that it’s a youth-oriented project. While we wouldn’t want an “unprofessional” site, per se, professionalism isn’t the goal. The handful of youths who’ve seen it so far have claimed that it looks much cooler now, but they may have been humoring the elderly for all I know.
A few of the issues are known issues…
- Archive pagination is broken
- Thumbnails need to be on index views
- Various text formatting glitches
- Chiclet management
Some features are done…
- Finally put a video playlist on the site
- Created a podcast display widget
- Imported and syndicated the TradYouth Hour
- Embedded videos now fit properly
- Caching and CDN improvements
Some features are incoming…
- Improvements for author promotion
- More social media integration
- Ad network integration (A feature?)
- Homebrewed bitcoin tip jar (for authors)
Some of it’s up for debate…
- Does everybody prefer dark text on light background?
- What’s some functionality we’re missing that you’d like?
- Is the sidebar too cluttered?
- Is it working on odd setups (tablets, widescreens, OS/2 Warp, etc…)?
- Change it back!!! Reeeeeeeee!